Posted by jobs July 17th, 2013 .
Hiring Company: BP
Job Code: 46136BR
Location: San Diego, CA
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: $ Commensurate with skills
Description: The BP Biofuels’ Global Technology Center, located in San Diego, California, is the central hub for Biofuels R&D at BP. The Lignocellulosic Enzymes Research group is responsible for developing and improving technologies for low cost, high performance biomass conversion enzymes.
We seek an experienced scientist with a deep understanding of enzymology and biochemistry to join our Lignocellulosic Enzymes Research team and lead an enzyme research group. This group will work in close collaboration with the strain engineering and strain evaluation groups to develop and improve our enzyme technologies.
• A minimum of 4 years of industrial research and development experience.
• The successful candidate will have demonstrated outstanding inter-disciplinary problem solving and scientific analytical skills, with a strong interest in the pursuit of scientific discovery.
• Experience with enzyme discovery, engineering, and structural/functional characterization.
• Familiarity with cellulase enzymology, metabolic engineering, systems biology, and ‘omics technologies is desirable.
• Manage a team of biochemists and molecular biologists to develop enzyme solutions for biomass conversion and biofuels production.
• Lead projects directed at discovering and/or evolving new enzymes in collaboration with strain construction, strain evaluation, fermentation, analytical chemistry, ‘omics, bioinformatics and other groups.
• Serve as a subject matter expert for enzymology and biochemistry. Responsible for developing and maintaining a deep scientific understanding of relevant biochemistry disciplines.
• Mentor and train junior scientist with hands-on lab techniques and experimental approaches.
• Provide scientific innovation and technical leadership.
Link for more information: http://www.bp.com/careers