Posted by jobs July 31st, 2013 .
Hiring Company: BP Biofuels Global Technology Center
Job Code: 42758BR
Location: San Diego, CA
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: $ Commensurate with skills
Description: Role synopsis Fermentation Team Lead is responsible for leading a small team of engineers and scientists performing the design, optimization and establishment of commercial fermentation processes for the production of Biofuels.
The Fermentation Team Lead will be responsible for safely transferring fermentation technology, principally filamentous fungi, from Pilot Scale (TCVP Select) to Demonstration Plant Scale (TCVP Define) to inform the Standard Design Package provided to our Global Licensing Business. The overall aim is to ensure that a sustainable technology pipeline is developed which appropriately supports the Biofuels business strategy and goals.
Reports to Process Development Manager.
• Strong experience (10-15 years) in commercial fermentation plant operations (>50,000L), process development or applied research.
• Strong experience in leading people in fast-paced, dynamic environments.
Experience in filamentous fungi fermentations.
• Solid understanding of key drivers of fermentation performance.
• Strong project and program management skills.
• Solid demonstrated understanding of design of experiments and process modelling.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritize multiple demands and work successfully in a fast-paced and at times ambiguous environment.
• Demonstrated ability to lead key HSSE aspects of technology development – both internally as well as with business partners.
Key accountabilities • Lead a team to oversee all aspects of developing a commercial fungal fermentation process from the pilot scale to commercial scale.
• Develop the senior engineers and scientists in the team as future subject matter experts in the company.
• Produce and own the fungal scale-up road maps and long-term technology plans.
• Design and deliver work programs to identify improvements to the integrated processes being developed within Biofuels.
• Advise/Oversee demo trials at internal or external sites as an SME.
• Provide expert technical advice to existing BP biofuels global operations (TCVP Execute/Operate).
• Work in an open, team-oriented environment.
• Influence others to accomplish project goals within a matrixed organization; successfully work with Senior Leaders and other cross-functional groups including operations and project teams.
• Manage projects and project budgets.
• Analyze and redefine procedures in accordance with industry “best practices”.
Essential Education • Minimum B.S. in related field – preferably Engineering or Fermentation Sciences.
Essential experience and job requirements • Ability to perform successfully in an ambiguous environment.
• Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities.
Eligibility Requirements Must be at least 18 years of age; legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Other Requirements (eg Travel, Location) • Biofuels Capabilities:
• Value Creator: Focuses their energy on the actions that will add the greatest value to Biofuels, showing initiative, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Seeks to exceed expectations and look beyond the tried and tested to solve problems.
• People Developer: Works to achieve own and others’ potential. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term delivery with the longer-term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business.
• Great Partner: Builds strong and enduring relationships across and outside the business. Collaborates effectively at all levels, recognising the value of those with different expertise and from different backgrounds.
• Operational Expertise: Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations.
Desirable criteria & qualifications • Experience with scaleup of GMM processes.
• Advanced degree (MS or PhD) desired, however experience in the field is more important.
Relocation available Yes – Domestic (In country) only
Travel required Yes – up to 25%
Is this a part time position? No
About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
BP Alternative Energy invests in new ways of providing customers with clean, secure energy. Launched in 2005, it comprises BP’s biofuels and wind businesses as well as the company’s corporate venturing activities — with a total investment of billion over seven years. These activities will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
Since 2006, BP has committed more than billion to biofuels research, development and operations globally as a response to increasing energy demand and the need to reduce overall greenhouse gas emissions from transport fuels.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest).
BP is an equal opportunity employer.
Link for more information: http://www.bp.com/careers