- San Diego Biotechnology & Life Science Events, Jobs, News, Company Directory - http://sdbn.org -
Principal Engineer – Fermentation
Posted By jobs On July 31, 2013 @ 1:34 pm In Featured Jobs | No Comments
Hiring Company: BP Biofuels Global Technology Center
Job Code: 47256BR
Location: San Diego, CA
Job Type: Full-time
Compensation: $ Commensurate with skills
Description: Role synopsis Fermentation Engineer responsible for the design, optimization and establishment of commercial fermentation processes for the production of Biofuels.
The Fermentation Engineer will be responsible for collecting, analyzing and providing insight and assurance on the fermentation program related to the experimental aspects of BP Biofuels’ business technology portfolio, principally dealing with heterologous expression in yeast and filamentous fungi. The overall aim is to ensure that a sustainable technology pipeline is developed which appropriately supports the Biofuels business strategy and goals.
Reports to Fermentation Team Lead.
• Strong experience (10 years) in fermentation plant operations, process development or applied research is required.
• Experience in operation and management of commercial scale (>50,000L) fermentation processes.
• Experience in heterologous expression in (preferably) yeast or bacteria.
• Solid understanding of key drivers of fermentation performance.
• Strong project and program management skills.
• Strong influencing skills, including the ability to work within a matrix organization; successfully work with Senior Leaders and other cross-functional groups including operations and project teams.
• Solid demonstrated understanding of design of experiments process modeling.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills.
• Ability to prioritize multiple demands and work successfully in a fast-paced and, at times, ambiguous environment.
• Demonstrated ability to lead key HSSE aspects of technology development – both internally as well as with business partners.
Key accountabilities • Collect and critically analyze data from scaled experimental fermentation program conducted internally and with outside vendors.
• Coordinate and oversee all aspects of developing a commercial process fermentation from the bench top to commercial scale.
• Design and execute experimental program to identify improvements to the integrated processes being developed within BP Biofuels.
• Work in an open, team-oriented environment.
• Participate in and lead projects and project teams.
• Influence others to accomplish project goals within a matrix organization; successfully work with Senior Leaders and other cross-functional groups including operations and project teams.
• Manage projects and project budgets.
• Analyze and redefine procedures in accordance with industry “best practices”.
Essential Education Education/Certifications:
Minimum B.S. in related field – preferably Engineering or Fermentation Sciences.
Essential experience and job requirements • Ability to perform successfully in an ambiguous environment.
• Ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities.
Eligibility Requirements Must be at least 18 years of age; legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.
Other Requirements (eg Travel, Location) • Biofuels Capabilities:
• Value Creator: Focuses their energy on the actions that will add the greatest value to Biofuels, showing initiative, flexibility and resilience in doing so. Seeks to exceed expectations and look beyond the tried and tested to solve problems.
• People Developer: Works to achieve own and others’ potential. Balances the pressure to focus on short-term delivery with the longer-term need to develop the next generation of talent for the business.
• Great Partner: Builds strong and enduring relationships across and outside the business. Collaborates effectively at all levels, recognising the value of those with different expertise and from different backgrounds.
• Operational Expertise: Simplifies and clarifies situations and processes; delivers operational value through intelligent application of processes; strives for “silent running” operations.
Desirable criteria & qualifications • Basic Portuguese or Spanish language knowledge is desired however, not required.
• Experience with scaleup of processes utilizing genetically modified organisms.
• Advanced degree (MS or PhD) desired, however experience in the field is more important.
Relocation available Yes – Domestic (In country) only
Travel required Yes – up to 25%
Is this a part time position? No
About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
BP Alternative Energy invests in new ways of providing customers with clean, secure energy. Launched in 2005, it comprises BP’s biofuels and wind businesses as well as the company’s corporate venturing activities — with a total investment of billion over seven years. These activities will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades.
Since 2006, BP has committed more than billion to biofuels research, development and operations globally as a response to increasing energy demand and the need to reduce overall greenhouse gas emissions from transport fuels.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest).
BP is an equal opportunity employer.
Link for more information: http://www.bp.com/careers 
Article printed from San Diego Biotechnology & Life Science Events, Jobs, News, Company Directory: http://sdbn.org
URL to article: http://sdbn.org/2013/07/31/principal-engineer-fermentation/
URLs in this post:
 http://www.bp.com/careers: http://www.bp.com/careers
Copyright © 2008-2010 Comprendia, LLC. All rights reserved.