Manager, Safety, Health & Environmental
Hiring Company: Prometheus Labs
Location: San Diego, CA
Job Type: Management
The Safety Health & Environmental (SHE) manager position ensures the SafetyHealth & Environmental performance, and acts as the functional expert resource, of the organization. The prime objective is to optimize the overall Safety & Health aspects of the organization across the value chain to ensure no harm to our people and promote their overall health.
The position develops, implements and maintains robust Safety Health & Environmental strategies, policies and plans that foster a culture where people’s Safety & Health is ingrained as a core value within the overall Company culture.
The SHE manager is the expert resource to build capability of other internal company resources and as such acts to build Safety Health & Environmental knowledge and capability across the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develops Safety & Health best in class programs, systems and processes, including training and coaching to establish clear procedures on S&H measures and precautions in accordance with OHSAS 18001, ISO 14001 and other relevant internal and external standards.
• Develop and maintain appropriate regulatory and internal Safety Health & Environmental audit protocols that ensure corporate and all facilities are in compliance with company and regulatory agencies’ policies pertaining to Environment and Safety & Health Sustainability.
• Directs company-wide functional Safety Health & Environmental programs and acts as internal subject matter expert in those areas.
• Oversee all chemical/hazardous/medical waste management, including transport of chemicals and waste disposal.
• Ensure timely completion, submission and documentation for various licensing, permitting, inspection and training requirements for the programs identified above.
• Identify and categorize hazardous wastes (chemical, biological and other) generated in all laboratory operations.
• Participate as an active member of site HAZMAT Response Team.
• Serve as SH&E representative in cross functional projects and be able to lead internal and Nestlé SH&E initiatives.
• Review facility/space designs of renovations or new constructions to identify potential EH&S impacts and provide recommendations to proactively manage these impacts. Coordinate commissioning and decommissioning activities of laboratory assets and work areas.
• Assist with implementation of the Disaster recovery and Emergency Response Plans.
• Prepare and instruct annual audit and training programs to maintain OSHA compliance and maintaining employee safety training records
• Identify, document and reduce potential workplace hazards, including accident investigation, through corrective actions and making recommendations to management.
• Interact with internal customers, provide cost benefit analysis and waste minimization options to effectively reduce or eliminate waste streams.
• Proactively put in place ergonomic tools, activities, etc. and act as on-site ergonomic evaluator or as liaison with workers’ compensation carrier.
• Direct contractor/consultant support as needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
BS degree; Chemistry/Biology/Environmental or related field, advanced degree a plus. Minimum 5 years’ experience preferably in a biotech, or related industry. Relevant experience or certifications may supersede degree requirements. Minimum 5 years’ experience interfacing with regulatory agencies such as OSHA, EPA, DOT and knowledge of their regulatory requirements. Knowledge of the requirements for the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS). Experience working and collaborating in teams, leading EH&S projects and initiatives. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
Link for more information: https://www.prometheuslabs.com/Careers/Default.aspx