COMPANY: Emerald Biosciences
POSITION: Director/Manager, Laboratory Operations
PRIMARY LOCATION: San Diego, CA
JOB POSTING: August 13, 2019
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full Time Regular
We are seeking an experienced Director/Laboratory Manager.
This role focuses on establishing an efficient and organized laboratory as well as some Facilities management. The qualified candidate will manage our science team to support general operations and organization of the laboratory. As part of a start-up, the candidate will be uniquely exposed to the full range of company activities.
In this role, you will:
- Provide leadership to ensure that the laboratory and general facility is operating in an efficient operating manner, including managing outside vendors, hiring/management of full time laboratory staff, development of chromatographic methods, general assay workflow, and support of product development;
- Write and oversee lab safety protocols and compliance. Ensure staff compliance with standard operating procedures and best practices for laboratory facilities.
- Track and organize preventative maintenance, calibrate and troubleshooting equipment;
- Work closely with State and Federal safety agencies to ensure facility and workflow compliance;
- Implement new processes to help general facility and lab operate in a more efficient manner;
- Maintain existing vendor relationships, and engage in new vendor relationships as required from contract setup through agreement/project closeout;
- Manage contract lab tech support as needed;
- Other duties as required.
- BS/MS in a scientific discipline or equivalent work experience;
- 3+ years’ experience working in lab and facility management, preferably in a startup biotech setting;
- Experience in handling routine laboratory chemicals and biological materials;
- Experience overseeing lab safety and knowledge/adherence to regulatory guidelines;
- Exceptional organizational, record-keeping and communication skills (verbal and written);
- Strong collaborator who communicates in an open, clear, complete, timely and consistent manner and able to work in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment;
- Additional qualifications include excellent interpersonal skills.