Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There’s something special about working at Astellas. It’s reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Sr. Scientist, Bioinformatics opportunity at our Astellas Research Institute of America site in San Diego, CA.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented bioinformatician to join our R&D team and contribute to development of therapies for psychiatric and neurological disorders. The successful candidate will have a track record of success in a collaborative research environment with a strong scientific background in biology and analysis of human genetic variation and RNAseq data.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Apply and lead computational algorithms, software tools and data mining techniques for bioinformatics analysis of NGS data
- Refine existing analysis pipelines/tools and implement new strategies/resources for analysis and visualizations to address changing project needs
- Provide guidance to non-computational R&D scientists seeking to independently use established bioinformatics resources
- Independently interpret results, prepare presentations and reports for technical and non-technical audiences
- Assist with infrastructure support for data collection, storage and analysis
- Experience in application of statistical methods to the analysis of large-scale genetic/genomics data.
- A firm grounding in statistical and computational methods relevant to the analysis of NGS data.
- PhD or MS with degree in in bioinformatics, computational biology, computer science or other relevant discipline; MS with 8+ years; BS with 12+ years of applicable experience. Title commensurate with experience.
- Strong scientific background in biology and NGS
- Hands-on experience with NGS data analysis with expertise in differential expression, eQTL analysis and single cell processing
- Proficiency with a variety of programming languages for statistical computing and generation of graphics
- Fluency in at least one scripting language (e.g. Python)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to effectively collaborate with other teams
- Excellent work planning, organization and record keeping is essential
- Experience with AWS or other cloud vendors
- Conceptual understanding of nucleic acid/protein isolation, RT-PCR and other standard molecular biology techniques
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled