We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2021. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Scientist II – Enzymology (2101678) – San Diego, CA
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a talented professional like you to support a R&D enzymology team working on industrial enzyme development projects. In this role, you will work in a multidisciplinary environment, both independently and in a team setting. Your ability to design informative experiments of high scientific rigor will be essential to advance projects to next stages. Key knowledge and execution experience that is beneficial in this role includes basic biochemical and biophysical techniques for enzyme screening and enzyme characterization in complex biological mixtures relevant for various industrial applications.
Qualifications – BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
- Leveraging your education in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or other relevant disciplines and your experience in enzyme activity characterization (kinetics, inhibition), assay method development, protein biophysical characterization and high throughput enzyme screening, you will contribute to selecting the most performant enzyme candidates for the next project phases, on their road to becoming products.
- Your ability to follow protocols and implement experimental design will be essential as you perform these functions with minimal supervision. We welcome initiatives to optimize current protocols, develop more efficient assays, reduce time for data analysis and suggest ways to operate more safely in the lab and offices.
- Your scientific rigor, promptness and systematic experimental approaches will be extremely valued by managers who need high quality, reliable data to make next project decisions.
- Successfully demonstrating your skills in collaboration and being a team-player, you will interface with various R&D departments when results and methods need to be transferred.
- Your strong organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written, will be important as you communicate clearly across the project teams for when results will be delivered.
- Your unwavering commitment to workplace safety will be evident as you demonstrate basic process safety knowledge received by completing required training of key safety critical areas of relevant processes and respective hazardous materials (hazard categories and related hazard potentials), as well as identify and assess risks in everyday operation.
- Successfully engaging across the organization, you will support and participate in process safety programs through participation in compliance audits, Capital Project Reviews, MOC, incident investigations and JHAs as needed.
- Accepting personal responsibility, you will act according to process safety regulations and company directives and actively participate in the continuous improvement process to include providing feedback on process safety training and identifying new hazards.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.