BlueNalu, Inc. is a fast-growing, San Diego-based company that is pioneering the production of seafood products derived directly from fish cells. Using proprietary cell biology techniques and engineering processes, BlueNalu’s platform technology can produce a wide array of value-added seafood products, that are healthy for people, humane for animals, and sustainable for the planet. Our products will have a low risk of mercury, microplastics or other contaminants.
In this role, the candidate will work with a multi-disciplinary team of cell biologists, chemists, process engineers and product development scientists to develop omic processes to increase the fundamental understanding of the fish cells and optimize media formulations and processes to support seafood cell culture. Candidates should have expertise in metabolomic processes, related experimental tools and data analysis, and communication of results. This position will require significant subject matter expertise and hands-on laboratory work and the ability to collaboratively work with or lead team members as well as coordinate with external suppliers or contractors. This position reports directly to the Director, Bioprocess Development.
- Develop projects and procedures to perform metabolomic measurements on seafood cell culture using chromatography-mass spectrometry assays including but not limited to working with external contractors as well as to bring novel related technologies in-house
- Develop specifications, procedures, and testing protocols, as required, for metabolite extraction and metabolomic measurements from samples obtained in standard and non-standard cell culture and bioreactor processes
- Evaluation and implementation of novel technologies and analytical tools to accelerate discovery
- Collect and review data; analyze and interpret data and results and work cross-functionally to implement data-driven process improvements
- Collaborate with suppliers to source materials and services for metabolomic activities
- Lead projects to achieve project goals and direct activities to meet project milestones
- Prepare summaries, reports and presentations based on findings to provide regular updates to the project team and management
- Preparation of invention disclosures and other IP documentation as required
- Some weekend work may be required
Jobs Supervised (by title):
- Director, Bioprocess Development
- As required from time to time
- Applicants with a PhD and 1+ years of industry experience are preferred, BS with 5+ years of industry experience in Analytical chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Cell Biology, or equivalent
- Demonstrated hands-on experience and strong technical knowledge in cell culture, cutting-edge metabolomic assays, metabolic flux analysis, metabolite quantitation, and related chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques
- In-depth knowledge of metabolic pathways and demonstrated application in cell culture (mammalian, insect, fish cells etc.). Experience with muscle and/or fat metabolomics is a plus.
- Significant experience with DOE and statistical analysis of data is required
- Excellent project management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Implementation of effective experimental designs using QbD principles and accurately summarize, interpret, and review experimental data using advanced computer tools
- Critical thinking to solve problems and ability to multi-task and work collaboratively or independently, as is required, for timely and successful completion of project goals
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and organizational skills, with impeccable attention to detail
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Experience with small-scale high-throughput bioprocess systems is a plus
Materials and Equipment Directly Used
- Microsoft Office Suite and other computer systems
Working Environment / Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations
- Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people
- Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict, and make decisions under pressure
- Ability to give, to receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans and prepare written materials, and articulate goals and action plans
- Must understand people and be able to communicate professionally and effectively
- Ability to work with and be around products containing Major US Allergens and sensitizing agents such as fish, soy, and shellfish
BlueNalu, Inc. provides an attractive compensation and benefits package. All applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Company. BlueNalu, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an
inclusive environment for all employees. This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but quickly growing company where everybody’s contribution is equally important. BlueNalu is seeking team players that are driven, focused, creative, proactive and productive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. We are also seeking team members that enjoy and thrive in the atmosphere of a very fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have a good sense of humor, and are personally motivated to make a difference to humanity and our planet.
To learn more and apply for this job, visit: www.bluenalu.com