I once heard that people can only remember three things.? I also heard that good things come in threes.? So with that, here are three things to remember and three things to do.*
1 in 3
One in three people will get cancer at some point in their lives.?
Good news:advancements in early detection and new treatments over the past decade have been able to reduce the number of deaths annually from cancer by 16 percent.
Bad news: cancer is still the second leading cause of death in the United States. ?
Good news: we can all do something about it ? today.? Even if you do not surf, you can be part of our events because they celebrate the ?aloha? spirit of surfing to bring together the community in the fight against cancer.? Together we are stronger than one, and only together can we beat this disease.?
$3 million and counting
The Luau & Longboard Invitational is the most successful surfing-related fundraiser in the world.
We?ve raised more than $3 million for San Diego?s own Moores UCSD Cancer Center to support the mission to translate promising scientific discoveries into new and better options for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.?
Sunday, August 9th, 8-10 a.m., beach near Scripps Pier, free
- Help break a record for longest line of surfboards to raise cancer awareness and support cancer research
- Attendees will receive a free ?Surfing for a Cure? souvenir and be registered to win a pair of tickets to the 16th annual Moores UCSD Cancer Center Luau & Longboard Invitational
- Prize will be given to the individual who brings the most surfboards
Saturday, August 22nd, 6-9 pm, Birch Aquarium, $125
- San Diego?s premiere party that brings together some of the most respected men and women in surfing history with community and business leaders to celebrate surfing and raise much-needed funds for cancer research.
Sunday, August 23rd
7-11:30 a.m., Longboard Invitational, beach near Scripps Pier, free
12 -4 p.m., Luau, Pawka Green, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, $150
- The most successful surfing-related fundraiser with a unique international reputation for combining the ?aloha? spirit of surfing and bringing together the community in the fight against cancer.
Come celebrate 16 years?.Surfing for a Cure!
*Email email@example.com with the number of ?threes? mentioned in this post and you will be registered for the Survivor Beach contest to win a pair of tickets to the 16th annual Moores UCSD Cancer Center Luau & Longboard Invitational.? The winner will be emailed the week of August 11th.
Posted by Jessica Yingling, Director, Corporate Communications & IP Development at Fate Therapeutics, and Event Chair for the Longboard Luau.