The SDBN is very pleased to host a Town Hall event with 52nd District Congressman Scott Peters September 22nd where we’ll discuss issues important to local life scientists and professionals such as research funding and jobs. In representing California’s 52nd district, a region which contains most of our biotech industry, Congressman Peters has worked tirelessly during his current term to champion research and business. His accomplishments and ongoing support include:
- December 2013 introduction of the Igniting American Research Act which would expand and make permanent the Research and Development Tax Credit.
- Advocating for increasing NIH funding to $35 billion, nearly $3 billion more than the President?s request, in order to continue crucial investments in life science and health research.
- Introduction of H.R. 2421, the Renewable Chemicals Parity Act of 2013, which would give renewable chemicals parity to biorefinery projects and other biobased programs in the Farm Bill?s energy title.
- Scott is a member of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee, where he sits on the Subcommittee on Research and Technology and the Subcommittee on Oversight. He is also a member of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Caucus, the House Biomedical Research Caucus, the Medical Technology Caucus, the Research and Development Caucus, and the Neuroscience Caucus.
- Introduction of a resolution to declare a day each year as National Entrepreneurs? Day in memory of Duane Roth, the CONNECT CEO who died tragically last year.
For more details, see Scott’s plan: Growing the Economy and Creating Jobs in San Diego and Across the Country.
This event is a fantastic opportunity to have your voice heard by Congressman Peters, and you may also decide to support him at the polls November 4th so that he can continue to advocate for the life science industry. In addition to the Town Hall, we’ll have an informal networking mixer at the beginning of the event to ensure that you’ll make many targeted connections. This event is your chance to network with life science professionals looking to make a positive impact on our region’s success, join us!
We have sponsorships available for this event which we expect will have 100+ in attendance and be covered by the press. Contact us soon to secure your spot!
Who: Life science researchers and professionals in the greater San Diego area
What: September 22nd Town Hall With Congressman Scott Peters
When: Monday, September 22nd, 2014, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
Where: Green Flash Brewery Tasting Room, 6550 Mira Mesa Boulevard San Diego, 92121 (directions below)
Cost: $25(Standard/Industry), 20(Academic), $50 (Recruiters), dinner provided, beer and soda available for purchase*
For more information about the event: https://sdbn.org/september
Directions: From the west: From the 805 North or South exit Mira Mesa Blvd, head east for 2.0 miles, the Green Flash Tasting Room will be on the left/north side of the street at Flanders Drive. From the east: From the 15 North or South exit Mira Mesa Blvd, head west for 3.6 miles, the Green Flash Tasting Room will be on the right/north side of the street at Flanders Drive.
Parking: The Green Flash lot holds about 70 cars, so come early and carpool if you’d like to park there. You can also park on the street, but be very mindful that there are some poorly marked ‘no parking’ areas, especially on Sequence where there is a center lane.
*We also offer complimentary passes for volunteers, fill this form out to request a spot.